This delightful meal can be served over rice noodles or a grain of your choice.
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro (approx 1 cup tightly packed)
- 1 medium tomato, roughly chopped
- 2 small hot red peppers, seeded and roughly chopped
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup tempeh or firm tofu, cubed
- 1 tbsp dark sesame oil
- 1 13.5 oz (400ml) can coconut milk
- 2 cups Chinese eggplant, cubed
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- rice noodles, enough for 2 people
In a food processor blend together the cilantro, tomato, hot peppers, ginger and lime juice. Set aside.
In a large saucepan on medium heat, saute the tempeh in sesame oil for 3-5 minutes or until tempeh starts to brown. Stir in the coconut milk, eggplant, broccoli, salt and turmeric and let simmer uncovered for 10-12 minutes or until eggplant is cooked and sauce starts to reduce (stir occasionally). Turn off heat and stir in cilantro mixture and peas, cover with lid, and let sit 5 minutes.
While vegetables are cooking, in a large pot of salted water, boil the rice noodles. Drain, rinse with hot water, and return to pot. Toss noodles with a splash of dark sesame oil and set aside. Serve vegetables over rice noodles. Makes 2 large or 4 small servings.